Steps To Take After A Car Accident in Maine
Our Portland car accident lawyers help you recover financial compensation
After a car accident, you may feel tense and anxious, and it may be hard to think straight. At Jabar LaLiberty, LLC, our Portland car accident lawyers know that know many people aren’t sure what to do when they’ve been in a crash. Here’s a guide explain steps you can take to make sure you are safe and that your rights are protected.
If you’ve been involved in a car accident:
Call the police.
Or have someone else call. The police will make sure everyone gets the medical help they need and keep the scene safe. They will also gather information and create an accident report, which will be important when you make a claim for financial compensation. Note the responding police officer’s name and badge number. Get a copy of the accident report as soon as possible.
Get medical attention.
Do this even if you seem to feel OK. You could be injured without realizing it. A medical professional can examine you to determine if you suffered any injuries and start providing treatment as necessary. Your injuries will be also be documented.
Gather contact information.
It’s important to get the names and addresses of everyone who was involved in the accident and everyone who witnessed it (all of it or any part of it). If you are able to, try to gather the following information:
- Name, address, driver’s license number
- Vehicle information (make, model and year of car)
- The license plate number
- Insurance information (name of company, policy number if available, and local contact info)
- The type and extent of damage to the driver’s vehicle
Unless you are too injured, you should take good notes on all the circumstances of the accident—make sure they are legible and detailed enough that you will understand them later. At a minimum, note:
- The time, date, and place of accident
- The position and routes of travel for all vehicles before and during the accident
- The same information for any pedestrians that may have been involved
- All relevant conditions: weather, fog, lighting, ruts or holes in the road, etc.
- What you remember of the events immediately before and during the accident (these are for your use; don’t share them)
Using your cell phone (or camera, if you have one), try to get photos of:
- The vehicles involved (final resting position, the damage, etc.)
- The accident location (include images of the lighting in the area; any snow, ice or other weather conditions; road conditions, including curves, grades and obstructions; traffic signals and signs, etc.)
- Any visible injuries you have
Notify your insurance company.
Let them know that you were involved in a crash. Stick to the facts and keep any comments brief. Don’t answer any questions at this point.
Contact a Portland car accident attorney.
It’s important to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights.
Our firm has been helping people injured in car accident since 1979. We’re earned a reputation as lawyers that people can trust because we are committed to helping our clients get the best results possible. We’ve recovered millions for Mainers and are ready to fight for you.
If you were injured in a car accident, learn more about how we can help. Contact us to schedule a consultation with a car accident lawyer. Our offices are in Waterville and Portland.