Maine Medical Negligence Lawyers
Personal injury lawyers who build strong cases that get results
When we get medical treatment, we put our trust in medical professionals to act carefully and responsibly. We expect them to help us get better. An act of negligence can cause people to become seriously ill or injured, however. If you have suffered a personal injury due to medical negligence, you deserve financial compensation. Our personal injury lawyers can help.
At Jabar LaLiberty, LLC, we know the impact medical negligence can have on people and their families. It can lead to permanent injury or make an existing illness even worse. It can also lead to financial stress as medical expenses keep adding up. If you are left unable to work, there is less income coming in to pay the bills.
Any medical professional can be negligent. This includes primary care doctors, surgeons, oncologists, physician assistants, emergency room personnel, nurses and anesthesiologists. All medical professions are expected to uphold a certain standard of care. When that standard of care is not met, the result is often injury or illness.
Examples of medical negligence include:
- Emergency room errors – Overcrowding and understaffing can lead to harmful errors.
- Missed or delayed diagnoses – A doctor may fail to diagnose a serious condition, illness or disease.
- Birth injuries – Mistakes by medical professionals can leave a child with cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy or other serious conditions.
- Surgical errors – Surgeons have been known to operate on the wrong site, cause damage with surgical instruments or leave objects inside patients.
- Medication errors – Patients given the wrong type or dosage of medication can suffer serious harm.
- Hospital infection – Failing to follow proper procedures can lead to the spread of serious, life-threatening infections.
Medical negligence can be difficult to prove. Medical professionals often don’t admit to doing anything wrong and insurance companies will fight your claim because they know there’s a lot of money at stake.
We know what it takes to build a strong case for medical negligence. Our legal team investigates to get the facts about what happened. Our attorneys carefully review all medical records and other documentation. We identify and interview witnesses. We consult medical experts who can help us understand whether the standard of care was met.
A record of results for injured Mainers
Our personal injury attorneys also determine the total amount of damages you have suffered. This may include all current and future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. In some cases, we may also be able to recover punitive damages.
If you were harmed due to medical negligence, we encourage you to seek legal advice as soon as possible. In Maine, the statute of limitations for taking legal action in these cases is three years. It can take months to build a case. Over time, evidence can be lost or destroyed, and the memories of witnesses can fade.
Learn more about how our experienced personal injury attorneys can help. Contact us to schedule a consultation at our Waterville or Portland office. There’s no cost and no obligation.