An experienced lawyer can fight for your rights if you've been injured.
Negligent drivers across the country cause accidents every day. But which states have the most drivers with at-fault accidents on their record? A new study from Insurify, a car insurance comparison platform, took a look – and Maine falls in at number 7 on the list.
When drivers apply for car insurance, they must disclose their state of residency and any accidents or violations on their driving record. Data scientists at Insurify examined more than 4.6 million applications in the company's database. They then made comparisons to determine which states had the highest proportion of at-fault accidents in 2022.
In Maine, the study found:
- 5% of drivers in the state had an at-fault accident on their record (19% higher than the national average)
- There were 1.25 traffic fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled
- 1 in 8,333 people are killed in traffic accidents each year
What are the causes of car accidents in Maine?
Most accidents are caused due to driver negligence. Some common examples include :
- Distracted driving – This refers to any activity that diverts a driver's attention from the road. Examples include texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting dashboard controls.
- Speeding – Too often, drivers exceed the posted speed limit or drive too fast for road conditions. This is dangerous because it reduces reaction time, increases the severity of crashes, and makes it harder to control the vehicle.
- Impaired driving – This includes operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Driving under the influence is dangerous because alcohol and drugs can impair motor skills, reaction times, and judgment, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Reckless driving – This refers to operating a vehicle with a blatant disregard for safety. Examples include running red lights or stop signs, aggressive tailgating, and weaving through traffic.
- Fatigued driving – This occurs when a driver operates a vehicle while excessively tired or drowsy. That can result from insufficient sleep, long hours of work, or driving during nighttime hours. Fatigue impairs reaction times, attention, and decision-making abilities, increasing the risk of accidents.
Negligent drivers cause accidents that leave people hurt
A crash can leave victims with serious injuries. Examples include broken bones, spinal cord injuries, herniated discs, whiplash, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI). Victims are left in pain and need extensive medical treatment. Medical bills can add up quickly and become overwhelming, leading to financial stress.
If a negligent driver caused an accident that left you hurt, you shouldn't have to pay these bills. But negligent drivers often deny doing anything wrong and may even try to blame you for what happened. Insurance companies may dispute your claim because they are trying to justify paying you as little as possible.
That's why you need an experienced Maine car accident attorney who knows how to fight back. Jabar LaLiberty, LLC can help. Our firm has been fighting for the injured in Portland, Waterville, and throughout the state for decades. We build strong cases that get results.
Getting legal advice as soon as possible following an accident is important. One of our attorneys is ready to review your case, discuss your legal options, and answer any questions you have. To learn more about how we can help you, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.