What To Do After a Car Accident in Portland, ME
Call the injury attorneys Mainers have trusted since 1979
The experienced Portland car accident attorneys at Jabar LaLiberty, LLC know the impact an injury can have on crash victims and their families. That’s why we are committed to helping you recover the financial compensation you deserve so you can get the help you need and move forward.
A car crash can happen on Congress Street, I-295, I-95, U.S. 302, a parking lot or anywhere in Portland. No matter where it happens, it can leave you seriously hurt. If a negligent driver caused the accident that left you injured, you deserve financial compensation for the damages you suffered.
Steps to take after a car accident in Portland
The choices you make after a car accident can have a massive effect on your future. If you’ve been involved in an accident, take the following steps right away:
- Call the police. Remain at the scene until the Portland Police or the Maine State Police The police will complete an initial investigation and secure the scene. They will also produce an official accident report, which is a key piece of evidence.
- Gather evidence. While the police investigation is important, you also need to start your own investigation. Take pictures of the scene, skid marks, vehicle damage and any visible injuries. Make a note if any nearby buildings have cameras that may have caught footage of the accident.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. You’re required to give the other involved driver(s) your name, contact information, and insurance information. You need to get this information from them as well. The police can assist with this exchange of information if necessary.
- Get names and contact information for witnesses. If a witness is ready to give a statement at the scene, you can jot that down as well, but don’t be pushy. It’s enough to get their contact info so your attorney can follow up later.
- Don’t discuss the accident with anyone. Anything you say to someone else at the scene, including the investigating officer, can potentially be used against you. Keep your comments brief, stick to the facts of what happened, and don’t say anything about fault.
- Get medical attention. Even if you feel fine, you need to get checked out by a doctor. It’s best to go to a local hospital like Maine Medical Center or Northern Light Mercy Hospital. If your injuries are not life-threatening, you can also go to an urgent care clinic, or to your primary care doctor if they have walk-in or same-day appointments. The important thing is to get your injuries diagnosed as soon as possible.
- Notify your insurance company. You’re required to do this promptly – but you don’t have to go into detail. Again, stick to the facts of what happened. If you’re asked about your injuries, it’s okay to simply say “I am receiving medical treatment” and leave it at that for now.
- Contact us. The sooner you have an experienced Portland car accident lawyer on your side, the better. We will investigate your accident and start building your case for compensation.
Our attorneys will get to the bottom of what happened
Negligent drivers often don’t accept responsibility for the accidents they cause – in Portland or anywhere else. That’s often because they were doing something they weren’t supposed to be doing. For example, a driver may have been:
- Speeding – Speed limits are posted for a reason. Driving above those limits is not safe.
- Texting while driving – It is against the law in Maine to operate a handheld device while behind the wheel.
- Driving while distracted – Talking to passengers, eating or drinking and operating dashboard controls are all activities that can take your eyes off the road.
- Driving recklessly – Trying to beat red lights, making illegal U-turns, tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic are all examples of driving behavior that increase the risk of a crash.
- Driving under the influence – Drinking alcohol or using drugs before getting behind the wheel affects decision making and reaction time.
Insurance companies are supposed to help people who have been injured in Portland car accidents, but they are not on your side. They want to protect their profits, so will keep try to pay you as little as possible. They have many tactics they use to try to do this, and they have lawyers looking out for their best interests.
Helping you get justice after your Portland car crash
That’s why you need an experienced Portland car accident lawyer to fight for your rights. We know the insurance companies operate and we don’t put up with their tactics. We’re not interested in lowball settlement offers that don’t come close to cover the damages you have suffered. Any resolution of your case must be one that meets your needs.
Our legal team investigates your accident ourselves to get the facts. We gather evidence and carefully review accident reports from the Portland or state police. Our lawyers identify witnesses and ask them questions about what they saw. If needed, we consult accident reconstruction experts and other specialists.
We build a strong case that the insurance company has to take seriously. Our Portland lawyers are skilled negotiators and can reach a settlement that works for you. This includes compensation for current and future medical expenses, lost wages and damages such as pain and suffering. If the insurance company won’t negotiate, we are always ready to fight for you in court.